LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICTS
There are several ways to TAKE ACTION in your local school district. The most important place to begin is educating yourself about Honesty and DEI initiatives currently underway in district and how you can get involved.
From there, you can:
1) Attend and speak out at your local school board meetings
2) Submit letters of support to your board of education and superintendent 3) Submit Letters to the Editor and Op-Eds to local media explaining with Honesty and DEI should be a priority in local districts
We've provided helpful resources below to get you started.
Select one or do them ALL!
State-Level DEI Initiatives
Ohio Department of Education
State Board of Education
ATTEND YOUR LOCAL SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
Attending a School Board Meeting
WHEN ARE BOARD MEETINGS: School boards typically meet once or twice a month on recurring dates and times. Meeting dates and times should be listed on your district's website under Board of Education. Call your district office for more information.
WHERE ARE BOARD MEETINGS: Locations can be virtual, on-site, or hybrid, depending on your district. Note that locations are subject to change based on your district's COVID-19 status and safety protocol. Contact your district office prior to the scheduled Board meeting for the meeting location and safety guidelines.
Presenting Public Comment
Preparing Your Public Comment
SUBMIT A LETTER OF SUPPORT TO YOUR DISTRICT
Submit a letter or statement of support to your school board and/or superintendent for their work around Honest in Education and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- It is best to email the letter or statement
- CC all school board members and your superintendent, if relevant
- Open with your name, connection to the district, and any relevant expertise or lived experience in terms of honesty and DEI in education
- Elaborate on 1-2 points that you know well
- Include any personal experiences or narratives, if able
- Include any supporting data, research, statistics, scientific journals, and case studies, if relevant
SUBMIT A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OR OP-ED