Below are questions and considerations to help evaluate school board candidates at candidate forums, debates, town halls, meet and greets, interviews, and other voter education events. Print the information to take with you!
Profile of an Honesty Leader
Considerations, core competencies, and proficiencies
School Board Candidate Questions
Provided by League of Women Voters Ohio
Role of Public Schools
- What is the role of public education in our community?
- What do you think are the top three issues in public education?
- What challenges to our public schools do you hope to address?
- A system of public schools is mandated by our Ohio Constitution. Given the alternatives such as charter schools, religious schools and home schooling, why is our public school system important?
- A system of public schools is mandated by our Ohio Constitution. In your view, what should that look like?
- Ohio is a “local control” state; what does local control mean to you?
- State lawmakers are increasingly trying to define more of what happens in a school district. If and when the state proposes or passes policies that a school board collectively feels is contrary to the interests and values of the community, what is the role of the school board?
Role of School Board Member
- Please describe the role of a local school board member.
- Please describe the role of a local school board member and share why you are the best person to fill this role?
- What traits would you look for in a superintendent?
- What questions would you ask a candidate for superintendent?
- What traits would you look for in a district treasurer?
- What questions would you ask a candidate for district treasurer?
- How would you support the district’s teachers?
- How can school boards support teachers?
- What about your school district do you want to be different by the end of your term?
- What do you think are the top three issues in our district?
- Why do you want to serve?
- What is your experience with your public schools? For example,have you attended a school board meeting, or have you spent time inside your schools?
Decision Making/Conflict Management
- You are one voice but the board makes decisions. Can you speak to your ability to build consensus when your opinion is in the minority?
- Boards of education represent the public and are accountable to the public. What makes a good board member? How should board members work with each other and with the public?
- Education has become the target for hot-topic issues. What skills do you have for constructive responses to controversy?
- Are there unmet educational needs that you feel need to be addressed and what are they?
- How can our school district support all our students?
- How will you assure that our school system meets the unique, diverse needs of all students?
- Comment on programs for gifted and talented learners and how do you believe students should be qualified to access these?
- What are your thoughts about acceleration policies for students in courses for which they demonstrate extraordinary aptitude and interest?
- What advanced courses (AP, IB, CCP) are appropriate for our school district?
- What is the role for distance/remote learning in our school district?
- What operations issues, if any, would you prioritize?
- What policies will you support or oppose to protect our schools from violence?
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- What specific actions or policies do you support or oppose regarding diversity, equity and inclusion in education?
- What role, if any, should our schools play in supporting social, emotional learning for our students?
- What policies will you support or oppose to protect students from bullying?
🗳️ LET'S VOTE 🗳️